Before taking a leave, students must first discuss it with their Guidance Committee and the Co-Directors.


If they have completed one semester, students are eligible to take a leave of absence one semester at a time to a maximum of two.  Students must be in good academic standing in the program and must not have a “hold” of any kind on the registration—cashiers, library, immunization, etc.  Students must request a leave each semester they wish to be absent. More information on requesting a leave of absence can be found at

No paperwork is necessary for SDSU.  The JDP, however, requires written notification to the directors, co-signed by the guidance committee.


UC San Diego

For UC San Diego procedures call the UC San Diego Program Coordinator.  Students may also cancel an approved leave at SDSU up to the day before classes begin.  Any leave time may be counted in the maximum seven years allowed to complete the degree.  In order to receive an extension students absolutely must have a compelling reason such as serious illness, etc.

If the situation is critical, and they need to withdraw before a semester is completed, he/she must follow the procedures for official withdrawal from classes.  Without proper withdrawal their grades may be in jeopardy.  If students choose to take an “Incomplete” for a course any semester or quarter, the “I” will automatically be changed to an “F” in one year if they have not completed the semester’s work.  An “Incomplete” must be arranged with the course instructor, as it is not advisable to have a “U” (unauthorized withdrawal) on the transcript.

No refunds for total withdrawal will be forthcoming after the specified date each quarter or semester.  Check the SDSU academic calendar online for the last day to apply for refunds at SDSU and the academic calendar at UC San Diego if that is where the student’s fees are paid.


If students elect to totally withdraw after the specified semester deadline at SDSU, they must also get approval from the psychology department chair.  If they elect to totally withdraw during the last three weeks of the semester, all graduate students must see the Dean of the Graduate Division.