Financial Aid is processed through SDSU and JDP students are, therefore, not eligible for aid at UC San Diego.  For more information about SDSU Financial Aid or to apply for a loan, please visit


There are several reasons for this.

  1. Some programs have a limit on the number of units students can accumulate and still be eligible for Subsidized Direct Loans.  Doctoral students in our program have considerably more units than other programs and if Financial Aid questions this please let the Dr. Malcarne know immediately.  A letter will be written on the student’s behalf.
  2. Students may be asked to submit a letter from Dr. Malcarne regarding their status in the program and current registration period.  Students can contact the SDSU Program Coordinator (619-594-7113) if they have questions about this matter.
  3. Sometimes lending institutions require official notice that the student is still enrolled in the program, that it is a five-year program, and the anticipated date of graduation.  If students need such documentation call the Program Coordinator’s office.  Most lenders require certification of enrollment each semester.  (See below.)

Remember that this is a very lengthy procedure.  It is to the student’s advantage to begin it as early as possible.  Students will not get immediate results and as much as we would like to help, there is nothing the JDP Administrative Offices can do to speed the process.

Please note:  If students consider applying for financial aid during the summer, keep in mind that they must be registered. Any summer costs are the responsibility of the student as the JDP will not be allowed to assist.  Summer financial aid also may impact the amount students are allowed during the academic year.  It is advisable to check into this matter first.

Student Loan Deferment Forms
If students receive a deferment form from a lender requesting certification of their status as a student, the procedure mandated by the SDSU Graduate Division is as follows:

  1. Fill out as much of the form—name, address, SS#, and the specific semester wish to be certified.  Deferment is typically given for one semester at a time.
  2. Bring the form to the Program Coordinator’s office along with the number of units for which the student is registered at both universities.  (The only way students can be certified full time is to be registered for more than 6.0 units at SDSU or at least 6.0 units at SDSU plus at least 4.0 units at UC San Diego.)  The forms and a request for deferment will be sent to the Registrar’s Office by the Program Coordinator after review/signature by Dr. Malcarne.
  3. The Registrar will affix the seal if required and mail the form to the lender.


Note:  Because this procedure takes time students would be wise to bring in the form sooner rather than later.