The admissions cycle for Fall 2017 is now CLOSED!
Applications for the next admissions cycle (Fall 2018) will be accepted starting October 1, 2017. The deadlines for Fall 2018 will be updated sometime this summer. Thank you!
Fall 2017 Application Information
- October 29, 2016: Last day to take the GRE Psychology Subject Test. This test is required (No Exceptions). Applications without the GRE Psychology Subject test will not be reviewed.
- December 1, 2016 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time: Supplemental Program Application Deadline
- December 15, 2016: CSU Mentor Application Deadline
- January 12, 2017: Deadline to Submit Official Test Scores and Transcripts
- Note: Interview offers will be made sometime mid-January. You will be notified by email either way.
- Our two-day interview process will take place on the following days:
- Monday, February 13, 2017 – San Diego State University
- Tuesday, February 14, 2017 – University of California, San Diego
Application to our program must be done in two parts:
PLEASE NOTE: The CSU Mentor and Supplemental Program Applications may be filled out concurrently. Although it is preferable, you are not required to have a Red ID in order to submit your Supplemental Program Application. If you do not receive your Red ID prior to submitting your application, please send an email to psycJDP@mail.sdsu.edu with your name and Red ID once received. NOTE: We will not review any applications prior to December 1, so please enter your Red ID into your application if you will receive it prior to the December 1 deadline. Thank you!
CSU Mentor Application (Part 1 of 2):
No later than by December 15, 2016, submit an application to the California State University System using the following procedures:
COMPLETING THE CSU MENTOR APPLICATION
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants are only allowed to select one major per application. The instructions below ONLY apply when selecting our program (The SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology) as your primary application. If you wish to apply to additional programs, you can do so by simply completing Supplementary Program Applications for each program.
Please follow the steps below when completing your CSUMentor application:
1) Go to the California State University (CSU) application online at CSU Mentor
2) To apply through CSUMentor, select the “Graduate Admission Applications” option. For international students, please select the “International Admission Applications (Undergraduate and Graduate)” option.
3) Click the Box that lists “Fall 2017”
4) For first time users, you will have to create an account. For returning applicants, login using your username and password
5) To begin your application, select “San Diego State University Graduate” from the campus list and click “start new application”
6) Enrollment Information:
- Term applying for: Select Fall 2017 (We accept students for Fall admission only. We do not have Spring admissions)
- Main campus: San Diego Campus
- Major/Program objective: Clinical Psychology (PhD)
- Complete the remaining fields accordingly
7) Name and Address:
- Complete the fields accordingly
- PLEASE NOTE: You will need to use the SAME name and email address (spelled exactly the same way) on ALL of your Program Applications as you enter for the CSUMentor application.
8) Personal Information – College Courses:
- Complete these sections accordingly
9) Test Information:
- If you have already taken the GRE Psychology Subject test and know your scores, please enter them under “Other test(s)”. However, these scores on NOT required by CSUMentor. Therefore, if you took the Subject test in October and do not yet have your scores, that is not a problem; please move forward with submitting your CSUMentor application.
10) Miscellaneous Information:
- DO NOT submit your letters of recommendation through the CSUMentor application; this information should ONLY be submitted through the online Supplementary Program Application. No paper copies will be accepted.
11) Statement of Purpose:
- DO NOT submit your statement of purpose through the CSUMentor application; this information should ONLY be submitted through the online Supplementary Program Application. Please just answer “See Supplementary Program Application” in the text box provided.
- PLEASE NOTE: The Statement of Purpose required by the Supplementary Program Application does not have a word limit. Please use your best judgment.
12) Once your CSUMentor application has been completed, submit your application.
- The SDSU Admissions department will assign you a Red ID (your nine-digit SDSU student identification number) after you submit your CSUMentor application. Red IDs may be issued anywhere between 3 and 15 business days, depending on when you apply. We recommend submitting your CSU Mentor application as soon as possible to ensure you receive your Red ID on time. If you have not received your Red ID within 10-15 business days of applying, please contact Graduate Admissions.
- Please Note: SDSU will send you your Red ID along with instructions on how to create your WebPortal (SDSU Student) Account (www.sdsu.edu/portal). Once you have a WebPortal account, you will be able to see which documents are required and if Graduate Admissions has received them or not. The official record of your application with the university, and receipt of your official test scores and transcripts is in your SDSU WebPortal account.
13) Payment of the $55 nonrefundable application fee can be made by check, money order, or credit card following the instructions on the CSUMentor website.
SUBMITTING TRANSCRIPTS & GRE SCORES
The deadline to submit all of your official test scores and transcripts to the SDSU Graduate Admissions is January 12, 2017.
After you have submitted the CSUMentor application and received your RedID number, you will need to send official transcripts and test scores to the Graduate Admissions Office. Sending transcripts before submitting the CSUMentor application will result in processing delays. Note: If your transcripts and/or GRE scores were received by the University Admissions Office before you submitted your CSUMentor application, you may need to contact the SDSU Student Prospective Center (see below for contact information) once your CSUMentor application has been submitted so that they can match your files to your application.
You must provide the following:
- Official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) issued within the last year, from all U.S. colleges and universities attended. Students who previously attended SDSU need only submit transcripts for coursework completed since last attendance. Hard copy SDSU transcripts are not required.
- Students with international coursework must submit both the official transcript and proof of degree. If documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation. For country specific requirements, please see the Graduate Admissions website (http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/grad/country.html).
- Please note that for graduate applications international transcript evaluation is NO LONGER REQUIRED!
- Official scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test and GRE Subject Test in Psychology should be sent directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) using the institution code for San Diego State University (San Diego St U Code: 4682). Please note the university requires all sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the GRE be completed.
- The GRE Psychology Subject Test is required for our program – No Exceptions!
- PLEASE NOTE: For those of you taking the GRE Subject Test in October: 1). Once your scores become available online on November 28 (according to the ETS website), please enter them into your application BEFORE SUBMISSION by the December 1st deadline. 2). The SDSU Graduate Admissions Office MUST receive your official GRE Subject Test scores no later than by January 12, 2017.
- If you are unable to register for the GRE Psychology Subject Test during the October administration date, you may want to consider “Standby Testing”. For details, please visit the ETS Testing Arrangements webpage.
- TOEFL scores are required of all applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English. A minimum score of 80 is required. Scores should be sent directly from ETS using SDSU’s Institution Code 4682.
The above materials should be sent to:
Graduate Admissions Office
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
Electronic Submission of Transcripts: SDSU accepts electronic transcripts whether they are PDF or EDI. Please select San Diego State University from an option menu if available and once San Diego State University is selected you should not alter the delivery information in any way (do not add an email address or an attention line). If a selection menu is not available or San Diego State University is not on the selection menu, then transcripts can be sent to the following email address: TranscriptsForSDSU@sdsu.edu. This will ensure that the transcript is properly routed to the transcript processing center and loaded to the University’s student information system and document imaging system as quickly as possible. Please keep in mind that electronictranscripts must be transmitted by the institution and not the student. SDSU will not accept transcripts that are e-mailed by the student.
NOTE: Please DO NOT send any application materials to UC San Diego at this time. AFTER you are selected for admission to the Joint Doctoral Program you will be required to complete a UC San Diego application. Only those students who are admitted to the program and elect to come need to complete the UC San Diego application process. After formal notification from SDSU, students will receive material from UC San Diego.
For questions about CSUMentor or general admission documents (e.g. transcripts, GRE scores, etc.), please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at (619) 594-6336 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. International applicants may contact the International Recruitment Office at (619) 594-6336 or by email at email@example.com.
Supplemental Program Application (Part 2 of 2):
No later than by December 1, 2016 at 11:59PM Pacific Time, submit the Supplemental Program Application to the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology by clicking on the link below.
(Click here for a list of JDP Faculty interested in taking a student for Fall 2017 admission)
If you are also interested in applying for a SDSU Psychology Masters program, you must submit a separate online application to their program: http://www.psychology.sdsu.edu/.
If you have technical difficulties with either online application, please use the Technical Support available in the respective online application.
For any questions about our program or the Supplemental Program Application that cannot be answered on our website, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.